When you're up in the middle of the night two or three times a night, that's a lot of free time to think about random things. Here's what I've been dwelling upon lately when I'm awake nursing Baby O.
1. To fall in love with anyone, do this: did anyone else see this article in the New York Times a week or so ago? It's a study trying to prove that one can fall in love with anyone given this set of 36 questions. After reading the article, my husband thought it would be fun to go through the questions together. We've only gotten through the first set of questions, and we hope to get through all 36.
2. Apparently I have a "high needs" baby. This is what came up when I Googled "my newborn wants to be held all day long." I'm thinking "high needs" is another word for colic, but I'm not certain Baby O has colic. For the most part, she's a fairly peaceful and sleepy baby from 10pm-6am (with occasional stretches of 2-3 hours where she just wants to be awake and hang out). Here's that the "experts" have to say about how to deal with a high needs baby. And here's some opposing advice.
I'm just taking it day by day, trying different things. Earlier this week, I took Baby O to the mall to get some walking in (it was in the low 30s outside) and I put her in the sling and wore her around the mall during my walk. Carrying 7 pounds around makes a difference!
3. Baby O's favorite spot in the house is...her changing station. Seriously. She'll be crying up a storm and I'll figure, she's already upset, let's change her diaper. Then I'll put her down in this corner and she'll see the birds and stop crying. It's amazing.
4. I'm obsessed with understanding what sleep is and why we need it. I've been getting more sleep this week, but I know that every night could be different, so I've been reading up on sleep basics and how sleep deprivation affects us. I haven't been this sleep deprived since college (not counting baby #1) and some days I am amazed that I can be so perky between 8am and noon (only to collapse into an afternoon slumber with Baby O). Every night I cross my fingers that it will be a decent night of rest for myself, my husband, and Baby O.
5. On the plus side, it snowed on Wednesday! I love a fresh dusting of snow. It snowed pretty much all day Wednesday which totally made my day...
Thank you to Amanda from Running with Spoons for hosting this lovely Thursday link up!
What do you think of the 36 questions -- could you see two people falling in love with each other if they went through all 36 questions together?