I am linking up this fine Friday with Courtney, Mar, and Cynthia, the three hosts of Friday Five, where they host a different theme every Friday. If you haven't heard about this awesome linkup, you can read more about the purpose and the link up rules here. You can also head over to Courtney's blog, Eat Pray Run DC to see what's up with other bloggers as well.
This week's theme is "What's New". In putting together my list of five, I realized, I've been pretty busy lately! Here's what I've been up to:
1. I'm onto another book! The last time I shared what I was reading, I was enjoying "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. I've since finished that book (loved it!) and am now working on "The Dinner" by Herman Koch. Unlike the last few books I've read, this was not recommended by anyone I know; I just stumbled upon it with the following recommendation "A European Gone Girl." Sold. I'm only six chapters in, but I'm already intrigued.
2. I've been giving myself mani/pedis to save money. I like nothing better than sitting in a spa pedicure chair and getting my feet massaged. Then there comes the perfect pedicure! The other day, I had a little trouble bending over to buckle the straps on my sandals and I realized that it won't be long before I'm well enough into my second trimester and I won't be physically able to give myself a pedicure, so I figure I should paint my own toes while I still can. I've also been itching to change my foot and nail color a little too often, and I don't want to shell out the $$$ every time I want to change my nail color.
3. I've been baking up a storm. One significant way the second trimester has been different from the first trimester (besides no more morning sickness!) is I've been having hankerings for baked goods. And not just any baked goods, but really good baked goods. Unfortunately, there aren't very many good bakeries in Denver (at least not that I've found), so I've been doing a lot of baking at home. I've mostly been baking cookies and muffins... and it's been fun to experiment.
4. I'm (finally) learning how to use my DSLR camera. After years of reading that the best way to get great photos is to learn how to use your camera in 'manual' mode, I finally buckled down and read the guide to my Canon EOS 20D. I have a long way to go, but I'm working on learning about ISO, aperture, and shutter speed among many other things. I figure, I'll work on these three for now... and maybe, with a little creativity and focus on composition, my photos will just keep getting better!
5. I'm getting back into one of my oldest hobbies: scrapbooking. Last weekend, my college buddy Sonya and her three kids stayed with us, and her two girls were absolutely infatuated with my scrapbook room. I showed them how to do a few simple techniques and they each created a project. After they left, I realized I haven't created any projects in at least three months. So this week, I created a few pages. I'm excited to get some projects done before baby #2 comes...
What's new with you? Have you picked up any new hobbies, tv shows, or other addictions?